Windows 7

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Apologies if this is a really dumb question, I am fairly new to developing wpf applications but .....

I have been developing an application using modern ui and when I run the built exe on a windows 7 machine the controls (textbox, datepicker, button, etc) look different to when running the app on my windows 8 development machine.

Is this to be expected or am I missing something with the build process?

Thanks

Donald.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM
MUI should work and look the same on win 7 and 8. Care to share some screenshots?
Aug 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Thanks for replying, here is a screenshot from Window 7:

and this is windows 8:

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I think that I have identified the issue, I just thought that I would see what the MUI sample app looked like on my windows 7 machine and to start with it would not run as I did not have .net 4.5 installed. After installing .net 4.5 I was able to run the MUI sample app and it looked the same as on windows 8.

I then tried my app again on the windows 7 machine (which is using .net 4) and now it also looked the same as it did on windows 8.

Does that make sense?

Donald
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
That totally makes sense. When creating a .NET4 client, you'll need to add a workaround as described in Working with WPF 4.0. The workaround is required for a bug in the .NET 4 runtime where resources are not resolved.

When .NET 4.5 is installed, it replaces the .NET4 runtime and fixes a couple of bugs, including the resolve resource issue. When targetting .NET4 just make sure you have the workaround in place and you're good to go.
Aug 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM
That fixed the issue, thanks for your help.

Donald