MS-PL compliance

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Edited Jan 16, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Hello

I have been hitting my head against MS-PL, so practically what requirements there are when using MUI in c# WPF application? What is exactly what you want us (developers who use MUI) to do.

Do I have to make end users accept ms-pl license for MUI components or just add something like "this software uses MUI components" to about dialog and link it here. Or.. copy MS-PL license to \licenses folder.. ?

Does anyone have experience (or better.. SOLUTION!) for this?
Jan 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM
OK, talking to my self.. Theres 17420 downloads for MUI (not to mention about other MS-PL projects) so I must conclude:
  1. Everyone knows how to deal with MS-PL.
  2. No one knows.. no one cares.
  3. Shhh...
So Im struggling whether or not my interpitations about MS-PL 3C and 3D are right, this is how I see em:

3(C) If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present in the software.

RETAIN: You do not have to add anything. So basically I dont have to add anything about these components for example:
  1. Add MS-PL license agreement to my executable that user has to accept.
  2. Add anything about these components to ”About” –box.
  3. Add folder to my software wich contains ms-pl license.
http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/4893/25530.aspx

3(D) If you distribute any portion of the software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under a license that complies with this license.

If I use MUI on my project and compile it to executable, I must comply with MP-PL. So basically I cant make license that.. for example:
  1. Claims that all responsibilities and warrantys are on MUI author.
  2. Claim that they are responsible for my software.
  3. Something completely stupid that I cant even think of..
And disclaimer: Im not lawyer, I hate lawyers, I hate stupid licenses, this is no legal advise, you may not sue me for writing this text.
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM
This might help -> http://www.tldrlegal.com/license/microsoft-public-license-(ms-pl)

As a creator of MUI I wanted the license to be as open and flexible as possible, while retaining the copyright. Ms-pl seemed a right fit.

Note; I'm a developer, not a lawyer
Jan 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Thank you, your work on MUI is something out of this word! Its freaking awesome!

Mostly I would like to have some sort of guideline that I wont be un-complient with MS-Pl. (yea, still hate lawyers) :)

For example: I have computer management WPF project that uses MUI, (its almost beta ready, yay!). So I compile it to executable -> BANG!

Now I have executable that I would like to distribute, at some point maybe I can sell licenses for that manager or it sinks down to my "failed projects" folder (who knows). But believe or not that sinking is nothing compared to feeling that maybe I have not done something simple and I'm not in compliance with your license terms.

Mostly 3C and 3D,, I have consulted lawyer briefly but you cant expect much with just one bottle of wine.

Note: I'm simple freetime developer with: half eaten banana and that empy case of energy drink. :D